7 Eco Friendly Tablecloths from Causal to Dinner Party
In our hunt for sustainable alternatives, a recent dinner party got us thinking about table cloths. Though only the most cost effective feel like plastic, for many more it is still a primary ingredient. Having eco friendly tablecloths not only cut your emissions from the ingredients, but can ensure you save money in the long term being able to use the same cloth year after year. Here are a few other key reasons why sustainable tablecloths matter:
- Environmental Conservation:
- Reduced Resource Consumption: Sustainable tablecloths are often made from eco-friendly materials like organic cotton, linen, or bamboo, which require fewer pesticides, water, and energy during production.
- Decreased Pollution: Environmentally friendly production methods reduce the release of harmful chemicals and pollutants into air, water, and soil, protecting ecosystems and human health.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: Sustainable production processes often have a lower carbon footprint, contributing to efforts to combat climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Biodegradability: Many sustainable materials, such as organic cotton and linen, are biodegradable, meaning they can naturally decompose, reducing the burden on landfills.
- Promoting Recycling: Some sustainable tablecloths are made from recycled materials, encouraging the recycling industry and diverting waste from landfills
- Supporting Ethical Practices:
- Fair Labor Practices: Many sustainable brands prioritize fair labor practices, ensuring that workers involved in the production process are treated ethically and paid fairly for their work.
- Animal Welfare: Sustainable materials like organic cotton and bamboo do not rely on animal products, promoting cruelty-free and vegan options.
- Promoting Circular Economy:
- Upcycling and Reuse: Sustainable tablecloth brands often embrace upcycling and repurposing, reducing the demand for new raw materials and encouraging the circular economy.
- Extended Product Lifespan: High-quality sustainable tablecloths are durable and long-lasting, reducing the frequency of replacements and minimizing overall consumption.
- Raising Environmental Awareness:
- Education and Advocacy: Supporting sustainable products raises awareness about environmental issues and encourages consumers to make eco-conscious choices in other aspects of their lives.
- Setting Industry Standards:
- Market Influence: The demand for sustainable tablecloths can influence the industry, encouraging more companies to adopt eco-friendly practices and materials.
How to choose eco friendly tablecloths: materials matter
By choosing sustainable tablecloths, individuals and businesses can actively participate in the global movement toward more responsible and environmentally friendly consumer choices, contributing to a healthier planet for current and future generations.
- Organic Cotton Tablecloths: Made from organic cotton, which is grown without harmful pesticides and chemicals, reducing environmental impact. Organic cotton tablecloths are biodegradable, minimizing landfill waste.
- Linen Tablecloths: Linen is a natural fiber made from the flax plant, requiring less water and pesticides than conventional cotton. Linen tablecloths are durable, long-lasting, and become softer over time with proper care.
- Bamboo Tablecloths: Bamboo is a fast-growing plant that doesn’t require chemicals or pesticides, making it highly sustainable. Bamboo fabrics are naturally soft and luxurious.
- Recycled Fabric Tablecloths: Made from post-consumer recycled fibers, reducing the demand for new raw materials. Recycling fabrics conserves resources and reduces the environmental impact of textile production.
- Hemp Tablecloths: Hemp requires minimal water, pesticides, and synthetic fertilizers to grow. Hemp fibers are strong and durable, making long-lasting tablecloths.
- Tencel/Lyocell Tablecloths: Tencel is produced from sustainably sourced wood pulp, using a closed-loop production process that recycles water and solvents. Tencel fabrics are soft, breathable, and biodegradable.
- Upcycled Tablecloths: Upcycled tablecloths are made from reclaimed or repurposed fabrics, reducing waste and promoting circular economy practices. Upcycled tablecloths often feature unique designs and patterns due to the use of varied source materials.
When searching for sustainable tablecloth brands, consider looking for certifications like Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) for organic cotton products, OEKO-TEX certification for safe and environmentally friendly textiles, or certifications from organizations promoting sustainable practices. Additionally, read product descriptions, customer reviews, and brand websites to understand their sustainability efforts and the materials used in their products.
6 sustainable table cloth brands and what makes each one great:
1. Magic Linen tablecloths
Magic Linen uses OEKO-TEX certified European linen that is ethically made and locally sourced in Lithuania. Their tablecloths are stone-washed for maximum softness and will look even better over time.
2. Zuahaza tablecloths and runners
Zuahaza’s table runners are handmade from organic cotton and colored with natural dyes by artisan women from Colombia. They are exquisitely woven with exceptional attention to detail and make any meal feel like a special occasion.
3. MINNA tablecloths and runners
MINNA is a certified B Corp that teams up with artisans and cooperatives around the world to create its line of elevated, elegant, and ethically made home goods. Their tablecloths and runners are meticulously crafted in Guatemala and Mexico and feature timeless designs that you can enjoy for years to come.
4. Anchal Project
Anchal Project is a non-profit that supports victims of the commercial sex trade in India by employing them to create handmade home textiles using vintage fabrics, organic cotton, and low-impact dyes. Their fair trade placemats and table runners are made with 100% GOTS-certified organic cotton and feature contemporary geometric patterns that stand out on your dining table.
Coyuchi uses sustainable materials like organic cotton, linen, and hemp to create its line of home textiles. Their tablecloths are made with OEKO-TEX certified fabrics and are machine-washable and dryable for easy care.
AmourLinen specializes in linen tablecloths made from 100% European flax linen. Their tablecloths are OEKO-TEX certified and ethically made in Europe. They also offer a wide variety of colors and styles to choose from, focusing on effortlessly classic styles.
We hope this guide and list helps you find a sustainable tablecloth brand that meets your needs and style! Learn about some of our other eco friendly home products here.