Sustainable & Natural Cat Toys for your Feline Friend
If you have an active cat or kitten in your life, you probably buy a lot of cat toys. Our little hunter leaves at least one toy in pieces every week, and by utilizing not natural cat toys, he was ingesting dyes and plastics, and we were throwing away a lot of toys and packaging! With a little research, we’ve been able to swap out our whole host of cat toys and accessories for more sustainable options.
Most cat toys are not natural. Manufacturers often use materials that are cost-effective, durable, and safe for cats. These materials may include plastic, rubber, and synthetic fabrics and dyes, which are readily available, easy to clean, and can withstand a cat’s rough play.
That said, there are natural cat toys available made from safe, eco-friendly materials for pet owners who prefer environmentally friendly options. It’s always a good idea to read labels and choose toys made from non-toxic, pet-safe materials if you are concerned about the environmental impact or your cat’s health.
What to look for in natural cat toys
When looking for natural cat toys, it’s essential to prioritize your cat’s safety, health, and enjoyment. Here are some factors to consider when choosing natural cat toys:
- Non-Toxic Materials: Ensure the toy is made from non-toxic, pet-safe materials. Avoid toys made from harmful chemicals, dyes, or synthetic materials that could be harmful if ingested.
- Natural Fabrics: Look for toys made from natural fabrics like cotton, hemp, or wool. These materials are safe for cats and are biodegradable, making them eco-friendly choices.
- Organic Catnip: If the toy incorporates it, make sure the catnip is organic. Organic catnip is grown without pesticides or chemicals, ensuring your cat’s safety during play.
- Durable Construction: While natural materials are great, the toy should still be well-constructed to withstand your cat’s play. Check for tight stitching and secure attachments to prevent any parts from becoming loose and posing a choking hazard.
- Interactive Features: Look for toys that offer interactive features to engage your cat mentally and physically. Toys with bells, crinkles, or hidden compartments can provide hours of entertainment.
- Variety: Cats can have different preferences when it comes to toys. Some cats enjoy batting at balls, while others prefer toys they can chew on. Providing a variety of natural toys can help cater to your cat’s specific interests.
- Size and Texture: Consider the size and texture of the toy. Cats often enjoy toys that they can hold in their paws, kick with their hind legs, or chew on. Different textures can provide varied sensory experiences.
- Washable: Ideally, choose toys that are machine washable or easy to clean. This ensures that your cat’s toys remain hygienic over time.
By considering these factors, you can choose natural cat toys that are safe, enjoyable, and environmentally friendly for your feline friend.
7 Sustainable & Natural Cat Toys
Made from natural catnip, which is a sustainable herb that grows easily across climates. The rest of the toy can made from plenty of safe, sustainable materials like wool or twine.
Wool balls (made from Silvervine or Matatabi)
Made from natural wool, which is a renewable resource. Made from sustainable silvervine or matatabi, which are vines that grows in Asia.
Made without dyes and from natural feathers, which are a byproduct of the poultry industry.
Made from natural materials such as cardboard, paper or bamboo, which are sustainable and biodegradable.
Catnip kicker toys
Made from natural materials such as fabric or wood, which are sustainable and durable. As some of the quieter cat toys available, which is purfect for your more active friends!
Natural wood sticks
Made from sustainable wood, which can be sourced from renewable forests. These are extra great because they aid digestive and oral health while playing!
Made from sustainable materials such as wood or cardboard. There are several different kinds of these feeders from the classic mazes to more complicated steps to get the treats!
All of these toys are made from natural materials that are safe and healthy for cats to play with. They are also all designed to stimulate your cat’s natural instincts and provide them with hours of fun and exercise.
Bonus tip: You can also make your own natural cat toys at home using simple materials such as cardboard, yarn, and string. This is a great way to reduce waste and save money with toys that can be composted once used.